We were really in search of a Tube Condenser microphone when we bumped into the Vanguard Audio Labs V13. A good friend of ours, Samuel Knaak, directed us to Derek from Vanguard Audio Labs and the rest is history.
Though as engineers we are usually too curious about the sound, the looks of this microphone blew us away. Vanguard Audio Labs have put in a lot of time into designing this beauty.
The V13 comes with the PS-13 power supply, which allows you to select any of 9 available polar patterns on your microphone. We encourage you to experiment with the different polar patterns, as each one changes the character and frequency response of the microphone.
Sonic Impression :
Got to try it on Vocals and Acoustic guitars and the results were mind-blowing. The sheen warmth and clarity that the V13 created was very pleasing sonically. Especially, on husky female vocals, the V13 brought out character that was spectacular. We were really astonished by what this microphone could do at this price point.
We personally loved midrange of this Microphone, especially around 250 to 500 Hz, as it sound very neat and present; but might not work for double tracking or stacking up. As already mentioned, the option to play around with 9 different polar patterns also added a different character to the sound. Two clicks from the Cardioid to Omni slightly thinned out the sound to entirely bring out some really cool vibes.
We also felt that the tube took a while to warm up just like any other tube microphone. Most of all, the V13 stacks up really well against much more expensive mics and is worth every penny and is now part of our boutique microphone locker.
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 – Design and Build :
The V13 has a gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule assembly. It is custom-voiced with a proprietary hand-tuning process and nicely placed in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections. A classy looking microphone with machine cut vents showing-off the tube and also serves as a cooling vent. The overall microphone is cased in a nice wooden box and a solid flight case.
As claimed by Vanguard Audio labs, the V13 is designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. A 100% quality control, meaning, every single microphone undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests in Southern California before being hand-packed. So much quality at that price point ? Brilliant !
To top it all, every Vanguard microphone is backed by our FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY.
- Transducer Type: Condenser
- Capsule Size: 1.34″ / 34mm (dual-capsule)
- Diaphragm Size: 1.04″ / 26.4mm
- Capsule Diaphragms Thickness: 3µm
- Electronics Type: Valve/Tube, Transformer-Coupled Output
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Max SPL: 134dB (144dB with pad)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20000Hz
- Equivalent Noise Level: 13dB (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio: 82dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Sensitivity: -35dBV
- Output Connector: Male XLR 7-pin gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch: 125Hz (6dB/octave)
- Attenuation/Pad Switch: -10dB
- Finish: Polished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone): 1.07 lbs / 0.48kg
- Weight (in case): 11.67 lbs / 5.29kg
- Dimensions (microphone): 8.18″ long, 1.98″ diameter / 208mm long, 50.5mm diameter
- Dimensions (case): 16.73″L x 12.80″W x 5.25″H / 425mmL x 325mmW x 142mmH
- Voltage Requirement: 110-240V
What’s in the Box:
- PS-13 Power Supply
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Box
- VLSM Large Shockmount with aerospace-grade suspension rings
- Locking Aluminum Carrying Case
- 7-pin Braided Microphone Cable
- Power Cable